Eyes without glasses

[dropcap]A[/dropcap]ll the planning for the last three months before I leave was very well (tight) planned. I guess I had a little luck with this as well. I have been working on a project in Azerbaijan since the beginning of December. In February I had a little more than 3 weeks at home. The day after I arrived back home the surgery was planned, so I had just enough time to recover (officially it had to heal for 4 weeks, and officially I was not allowed to fly, but hey, all went good and my surgeon approved). For my second eye, that took place the week after I got home from my second term in Azerbaijan, I will take the four weeks, and then I am off to hike!

The surgery on my first eye was less scary than I had anticipated. Making the holes in my irises was a lot more uncomfortable. I laid down in the chair, and was awake during the surgery. Basically I could not see much of what was going on. I was awake but I got some sort of tranquilizer as well, so afterwards I did not have a clue how long the whole thing took. Slightly confused I got back to the waiting room. I had to stay a bit longer so the pressure in my eye could be checked a few times before I could leave. I returned to the hotel I had booked with Harmen, with the train, and rested/slept the rest of the day, pretty tired from all the traveling and the surgery.

The next day I went home, again with the train. My operated eye was still vague, and my other eye could not see sharp at all, so in all I had very bad vision. When I arrived home and put in my contact in my non-operated eye and I could see the world pretty good again. What a relieve.

With one eye operated I had to wear a contact lens in my non-operated eye. This went well as long as I did not work too long behind the computer. Behind the computer my eyes get dry and my contact get cloudy and twisted, and I basically did not see anything through the eye. So back at work I spend most of my time working on the computer cleaning surveydata and making survey charts but I got to go out on the boat to do the surveys as well. Most of the days in the second half of my term I spend whole days in the office staring at computer screens, being partly blind as my contacts were not doing their job properly. I managed though. I had my glasses with one of the glasses replaced by a normal glas. Also I had some eye drops that also did a good job in preventing my eyes to get dry. One good eye and one bad eye makes you realize how important it is to have both your eyes.

My second surgery was last Tuesday. Harmen went with me this time so I would not be alone in the waiting room this time. It went well. The picture above shows my eye a few hours after the surgery. The ointment is still in and around the eye. The day after the surgery, when the painkillers were elaborated, the eye was a little sore, nothing too bad tough. Same like the first time as well. This disappeared the day afterwards.

This week, just like last time I will have to put some drops in my eyes, I have two different drops: dexamethason two times a day and Nepafenac (a very annoying sticky drop) one time a day. Also I have to sleep with a protective cap on my eye for about one week. I did my checks, and all looks good, I can see with my eyes more than the average standard, so that’s good. From now on I will not be needing my glasses or contacts anymore. Life is good.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.